Adamsfield is a locality in Tasmania Australia where osmiridium was discovered in 1925. Alluvial mining resulted in one of the world’s largest sources of osmium and iridium metal. Florentine Post Office opened on 1 November 1925.
Today there is little left of this once booming town. Most of the buildings have been damaged by bushfires or reclaimed by the bush. Despite this, a visit to Adamsfield is well worthwhile.What remains gives a feeling for what once existed here and the surrounding landscape emphasises the remoteness of the settlement.
Old shacks near river. The river has a footbridge crossing or 4WD required to cross to get to Adamsfield.
Visitors to Adamsfield do not require a Parks pass.
There are barriers on the Saw Back Range track. Adamsfield track and the Clear Hill Road, all of which are permanently locked. Therefore, all vehicle based visitors to Adamsfield, including those travelling by motorbike, four-wheel bike or mountain bike, require an authority and a key from Mt Field National Park Visitor Centre. A $300 refundable deposit is charged for the key. The maximum number of vehicles in each group is six. To ensure access it is recommended that you book in advance given the limited number allowed in each day.